2017 seems to be flying by as March midway through, leaving a few short weeks before the ever anticipated April holidays. I’m talking long weekends baby!
The 14th of April signifies Good Friday as well as the start to a chance for a spectacular weekend getaway that goes right the way through to Monday the 17th of April, Family day. That’s four full days ripe and ready for some chill time. Anyone with available leave can also take Friday the 28th of April off and get yet another four day holiday because Thursday the 27th is Freedom day. April is like a mini December and I have established some stunning getaway locations for those in search of a little R and R.
1. Stay local and head to The Peech Boutique Hotel on Melrose. With just sixteen bedrooms, this eco-chic hotel is great for a quiet break. Two ‘House rooms’ situated within the original house and the remaining ‘Garden rooms’ and ‘Garden suites’ are all decorated in a colourful modern theme. The plush bed and rain shower are already calling my name. The added bonus is that Melrose Arch is short drive away, perfect for a delightful food and shopping experience. This melting pot of cultures and riches is dotted with Maseratis and Ferraris and is a delightful location for people watching too! Peech will be running a special between the 14th – 27th April at R3290 per night which includes a three course dinner for two as well as breakfast! T’s and C’s apply so do mail for more info.
2. Muldersdrift is nearby if you would only like to venture out just beyond the suburbs. One thing I love about Joburg that you can be in a suburban area one moment and the next you are surrounded by plots and open land as far as they eye can see. Hakuna Matata Lodge is comprised of rustic stand alone units that are furnished with gorgeous four poster beds complete with hangings and fur blankets to give it the feel of an alpine lodge. Complete with gorgeous bath facilities of course each unit opens up to views of the veldt that make you forget that you are but a few kilometres away from home. Their rates include a full English breakfast and with health spa on site, you can stop in for some weekend pampering. Their Easter spa packages are R1 150 per couple for a day package which includes massages, exfoliation and a two course lunch. Their stay over package is R2 400 per couple is a real luxury treat comprised of massages, exfoliation, lunch, dinner, accommodation and breakfast. The best part is that it’s valid till the end of April. Contact them for more info and to book.
3. Haartbeespoort dam is just over an hour out of Joburg and holds a wealth of possibility that is all dependant on the type of staycation you are looking for. The aerial cableway is a short drive away and the views are simply magnificent. I felt like a tourist in my own city when I went up. Pause to have a top of the mountain lunch and experience the fun all over again on the way back down. Galagos Lodge offers opulence to the max with luxury rooms that are more than just en suite. The Honeymoon suite offers a Jacuzzi tub situated right on the private viewing deck, perfect for a romantic bubble filled sun downer. Bali suites offer fireplaces for the cooler months. Extra activities are in abundance from monkey sanctuaries to a cruise boat on the dam itself. You won’t be left wanting with all that is on offer. A Cheese farm, Cheetah centre and even a country market are all within close range so there is no chance of getting bored with family fun for everyone to be had.
4. Why not venture deeper still, all the way into the Magaliesburg? I am totally bananas over La Provence d’ Afrique, a picturesque beauty nestled away in the Magaliesburg Mountains. For a French affair, prepare to be dazzled by the opulent frills and French theme. This lodge has French quarters which are decked out to feel like you have stepped into a Parisian hotel. Their forest spa is built on a deck overlooking the forest meaning that you get to be pampered while viewing the breathtaking Magaliesburg. They even offer a midweek relaxation retreat which includes talks, massages, yoga, art workshops and more. Their special during the April period is a 3 night couple’s package at R5690/R6090 per couple. This includes a dinner basket served inside their quaint French street cafe, for the second evening you receive a 3 course meal inside their Manor House, 3 brunch breakfasts and 2 full stone therapy massages at their Zen Spa. There are also guided forest walks across the river and up the mountains on Saturday mornings so do remember to bring your walking shoes. Their French Suites are still available so do get booking.
La Provence d’ Afrique
5. Finally is the Pilanesburg where you can have the chance to go on game drives or just relax in a hide while waiting for animals to meander past. Kwa Maritane Bush lodge is a wonderful escape and perfect for a family getaway. The Lodge itself is situated deep within the Pilanesburg National Park, giving you constant access to wildlife. Their gorgeous swimming pools are perfect to relax in after a long game drive and pop in for a bite to eat at their onsite restaurant with a menu full of local delicacies. Their list of activities ranges from; table tennis to rock climbing and so much more that it will take more than just the long weekend to try them all. If you do manage though, you can always all hop in the car and take a short drive up to the well known Sun City where you can spend a sun-filled day in the water.
With so many options all you have to do is pack up and go! May your April holidays be fun and filled with relaxation.